Tuesday, January 8, 2008

The "Get Together" & Ken (H)'s visit

We had a busy weekend which included a visit from Ken (H) and a family reunion.

The Get Together is a Doyle family reunion/tradition that occurs each year (usually) on the Saturday between Christmas & New Years. I asked my mother how and when it started and she recalled that it started with her father going to his brother Gene’s house to watch New Year’s Day football games and it somehow grew from there. We guessed that it must be at least fifty years of “getting together.” In the earlier years, it was held at different ones homes but for me it will forever remain in my memory at my Uncle Larry & Aunt Chris’s home. It includes (from my mother’s side of the family) aunts, uncles, cousins and long time friends of the Doyle Family.





The Chocolate Trifle the kids and I made for the "get together."


Before heading out to the "get together" we stopped to visit with my 96 year old, great-aunt, Margie. Uncle Gene & Aunt Bonnie were visiting too.

At the "Get Together":
Mom, Uncle Billy, Ken and Uncle Kenny.



The dessert table.


Contrary to what some might say, I think as a family we are very original with our names ;) and I happen to like the names: Kenny, Richie, Tommy, Billy and Brian.

Uncle Kenny, Kenny and Kenny.




Kenny, Kenny and Kenny.





My cousins, Shannon & Denise.




The kids playing football. It looks like the Giants are losing to the Cowboys ;)









From left: My cousins, Steven and Brian, Uncle Kenny, cousin Kenny, Uncle Richie and married to my cousin, Tommy.







Top left: Uncle Richie, Uncle Larry, Uncle Kenny, Uncle Billy, Mom, Uncle Tommy and Cousin Diane.
Sitting from left: Cousin Jay, Uncle Gene and Cousin Richie.





While Ken (H) was visiting he was on the go interviewing different ones and collecting information and pictures for his much anticipated, yet to be released, story about his life book: “You Can’t Take the Bronx Out of the Boy.”



Here, Uncle Kenny is reading an excerpt from his book to the kids.



We ended the weekend with dinner at my cousin Brian’s bar/restaurant, JP Doyle’s, with Ken (H), Chris, Larry, Dad, Gabrielle and her “friend” Mike, and Lauren, Alison, Tommy and Kelly. The food was DELICIOUS and the service exceptional; thanks Brian & Jen.


Here, the kids are enjoying appetizers at JP Doyle's.


Brian & Jen joined us for a short while.



The end to a great weekend with family.

































































8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tricia, You did a beautiful coverage of the get-together. Thank you! Mom

Rich said...

What is this with the Bush beer and Pabst Blue Ribbon? Where's the Schaffer! Great pictures! Everyone looks great! Thanks for sharing these. It is a blessing.

Sheri said...

Trish! I knew I could count on you for some great pictures of the people :) Kenny brought back plenty of cool scenery pix, but he missed the people and I always love to see everyone. Thanks and hopefully next time I will be there to see everyone for myself!

Sheri said...

PS: LAUREN!!!! Now I know why you said you would be spending your time at the dessert table!!! That dessert you guys made looks DELICIOUS!!! WOW! If you would have told me that was going to be on the table, I would have walked to the get together!

Anonymous said...

Rich: I asked Brian the same guestion.

Sheri: I can't wait to see the scenery pics Kenny took.

Anonymous said...

Tricia - I love it!!!! Shannon passed your blog to me - GREAT idea, and I love the name. I wish we had more time to catch up and talk at the get-together. Pics are great - love them all. Only question - where's the photo of me?

Anonymous said...

Aunt Sheri-
The dessert table WAS great!!! The Chocolate Trifle was especially awesaome... my favorite part of the holidays... :)
Lauren
PS
Too bad New Jersey isn't in walking distance from St. Louis. The dessert would've been worth it. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Barbra: Thanks. I know, there never seems to be enough time to get to talk to everyone as much as I would like.

I'll try better next time to get your picture so I can post it ;)

P.S your girls are beautiful