Saturday, March 8, 2008

Homeschooling banned in California--

Maybe you are already aware of this, but if not I want to make sure my family and friends know about this court ruling in CA concerning homeschooling.

If it can happen in CA it can happen here too (or anywhere).

When I sat down to our computer this past Friday morning to get the latest headlines on The Drudge Report immediately one particular headline caught my eye: Court's homeschool ban creating 'panic' in California..... Most of you know that we have homeschooled for the past six years so you would understand that my heart was in my throat as I read this article. The ban was the result of one hsing family under investigation, there are over 166,000 hsing families in CA and again because of one family the whole CA hsing community is suffering. The article stated that if a parent did not comply with the ban and continued hsing they could be 'CRIMINALLY prosecuted'-that's scary. This ban should not only concern hsing families but ALL parents-hsing or not. This is a direct threat to our parental rights and to what we deem is the best way to educate our children and not what a judge or teacher's association thinks is best for our children. If you want more information you can link to the initial article at Court's homeschool ban creating 'panic' in California.... and also read what Governor Schwarzenegger's encouraging response was the next day at http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/03/08/MNCHVG0SD.DTL.

If it so interests you-you can listen to a 1/2 hour web broadcast at Focus on the Family about the CA hsing ban (this was really good and I listened while I was cleaning)
http://www.oneplace.com/Ministries/Focus_on_the_Family/Archives.asp?bcd=2008-3-7

Keep in mind, this is not only effecting hsing families but be assured that there is a much bigger picture here concerning parental rights in general.

In a future post I'd like to give some background into homeschooling for those of you who are not familiar with it, the pros and the cons and I would also like to give a brief testimony of how Kenny and I began homeschooling.



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

UNBELIEVABLE! This is such an outrage and you are right, all of us, whether we homeschool or not should be very concerned about what has happened in CA. The day that the courts and teacher's associations can dictate how we teach our kids is a very sad day for this country. I can't wait for your next post on this -- give us the statistics on test scores of homeschooled kids vs. public school kids (I am not a homeschooler, for those of you reading this who do not know me -- our kids are public school kids). But I know what the stats are.

Anonymous said...

I know its scary, but hopefully with lots of prayer and public outrage this ruling can be overturned.

Rich said...

This is what sparks revolution. The state needs to stay out of parental concerns. If anyone should go to jail it's the teacher's union and politicians that have allowed generations of children to graduate illiterate. Keep up the fight!!

Anonymous said...

AMEN Rich!

Anonymous said...

Rich: we will.